
Dozens killed in Kashmir massacre
(CNN) — Gunmen killed at least 26 people and injured a dozen others in the disputed Himalayan region of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday, a rare assault on tourists in an area fraught by decades of insurgency and opposition to India’s rule. The devastating massacre targeted sightseers in a popular tourist destination in Pahalgam, in the mountainous Anantnag district, and is the region’s worst assault on civilians in years. Most of the 26 people killed are understood to be travelers. Among the victims was a Nepali national, and another person of “Indian origin who works in the Middle East,” V K Birdi, inspector general of police in Kashmir, told CNN. He added that the attack took place in a part of the Baisaran Valley – which is only accessible by foot or on horseback. The assault unfolded in a meadow, with mountainous ridges nearby, that stretched several miles without any car roads, he said. Survivors described horror as the attack unfolded and a bloody scene wrought by the gunmen.
Vance issues Ukraine ultimatum
(CNN) — A major meeting in London aimed at bringing about an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine has been downgraded after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would skip the summit, escalating a clash between Washington and Kyiv over the future of Russian-occupied territory. US Vice President JD Vance threatened to abandon negotiations on Wednesday, telling reporters during a visit to India: “We’ve issued a very explicit proposal to both the Russians and Ukrainians, and it’s time for them to either say yes or for the US to walk away from this process. We’ve engaged in an extraordinary amount of diplomacy, of on the ground work.” Rubio had been expected to take part in the discussions with Ukrainian, UK and European officials, but State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said Tuesday that he would no longer attend due to “logistical issues.” London’s Foreign Office then confirmed on Wednesday that the meeting would take place at a lower level.
Pope Francis funeral arrangements set
(CNN) — Although Pope Francis simplified the papal funeral rites in a move of typical modesty, Saturday’s ceremony will still be full of pomp and pageantry, as the world’s Catholics bid him farewell and cardinals in the Vatican ready themselves for the millennia-old process of picking a new pontiff. Francis’ body is lying in state in St. Peter’s Basilica, where cardinals and members of the public will be able to pay their respects for three days. Thousands of mourners are packed into the piazza outside, waiting in line to visit the pope’s coffin. Francis’ funeral will begin at 10 a.m. local time (4 a.m. ET) Saturday – six days after his death. The last papal funeral – for Pope Benedict XVI in 2023 – was also held six days after his death. The Vatican announced that Francis’ funeral will be held mostly outside in St. Peter’s Square. Rome has enjoyed glorious sunshine for much of the week, and more blue skies are forecast Saturday. A string of political and religious leaders, royals and celebrities have confirmed they will be at the Vatican for Saturday’s service. At least 170 heads of state or government will be attending, the Rome mayor’s office said Wednesday. French President Emmanuel Macron, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, outgoing German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky are among the major European leaders traveling to the Vatican. US President Donald Trump will also attend.
Harvard’s fight with the Trump
(CNN) — Harvard’s brawl with the Trump administration over academic autonomy and government control exploded on the national scene in recent weeks, with the White House accusing the school of tolerating antisemitic behavior and academic leaders saying in a lawsuit filed Monday the government is trying to pressure the school to submit to its demands. Education Secretary Linda McMahon insisted Tuesday the White House’s recent demands are not about curbing freedom of speech. In the wake of the administration’s threats, Harvard – an institution that is 140 years older than the US government – has begun touting the life-changing impacts of its federally funded research and spelled out in court documents how the Trump administration’s “unlawful” actions could impact not only the university’s employees and students, but the wider American public.
The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.













