Jesse Jackson dies at age 84
The pioneering civil rights icon Rev. Jesse Jackson has died at age 84. Jackson had been hospitalized in recent months and was under observation for progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP). Born during the Jim Crow era, he rose to national prominence in the 1960s as a close aide to Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. He went on to become one of America’s most transformative civil rights leaders and mounted two electrifying presidential campaigns in the 1980s. His Rainbow Coalition — a bold alliance of Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Asian Americans, Native Americans and LGBTQ people — helped pave the way for a more progressive Democratic Party. Jackson is being remembered, in part, for his eloquence and energy.
Clinton accuses Trump of Epstein cover-up
Former U.S. Secretary of State and First Lady Hillary Clinton has accused the Trump administration of a “continuing cover-up” in the way it has handled the release of documents relating to Jeffrey Epstein. Attorney General Pam Bondi now says that no more Epstein documents will be released, even though the Department of Justice has about two million more it has been holding. Donald Trump’s name was reported to appear more than one million times in the Epstein files that have been released. Clinton made her cover-up accusation during an interview with the British Broadcasting Corporation. Clinton said her husband, Bill Clinton, has nothing to hide. She criticized Bondi for refusing to answer questions when testifying at a Capitol Hill hearing last week and said it indicates the administration has something to hide.
Judge orders Trump administration to put back slavery exhibits
In a 40-page decision, Federal Judge Cynthia Rufe has ordered the Trump administration to put back exhibits related to George Washington having slaves that the National Park Service removed from a national monument in Philadelphia. The monument includes remnants of a home Washington occupied in Philadelphia while serving as the country’s first president. Rufe blasted the Trump administration for trying to rewrite U.S. history. She accused the administration of trying to be the Ministry of Information that controls history, which George Orwell warned about in his book “1984.” The City of Philadelphia had filed suit to force the administration to put back the exhibits it had removed. The Trump administration is expected to try to overturn the judge’s ruling.
Trump’s son-in-law in nuclear talks
Talks between the U.S. and Iran are underway in Geneva. Iran’s foreign minister is attending the talks, along with U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Neither Witkoff nor Kushner have any special education or diplomatic expertise gained from experience in handling nuclear weapons issues. While the administration says it is seeking a diplomatic path toward a potential nuclear deal, U.S. officials have, in the meantime, continued a significant buildup of air and naval assets in the region. Sources describe the move as a direct attempt to intimidate Tehran and give Washington options to strike inside the country if negotiations fail.
DNA being analyzed in Nancy Guthrie case
Nancy Guthrie’s family members, including her adult children and their spouses, are not suspects in the 84-year-old’s disappearance, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said Monday, adding in a statement that to “suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel.” Nanos said the Guthrie family has been “cooperative and gracious” as the search continues for Nancy and those possibly responsible for her disappearance in Arizona. Investigators are combing through tens of thousands of tips and poring over evidence, including analyzing DNA on a glove found near Guthrie’s home and investigating a backpack seen in a video of the suspect.
Hockey rink shooting in Rhode Island
A shooting at a youth hockey game in Rhode Island on Monday left at least two people dead and three others injured, police said. Two teams of students from multiple schools were playing hockey at the arena in Pawtucket, a local official said, confirming that “all students involved in the game are safe.” Police say that the suspected shooter who committed suicide after shooting others appeared to target family members during the incident. Dramatic video from the packed facility showed people taking cover as at least a dozen shots were fired. The incident marks the 41st mass shooting in the U.S. this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive.












