Republican leaders cancel vote on Trump’s war powers
House Republican leaders abruptly canceled a vote Thursday on a resolution to limit President Donald Trump’s war powers in Iran after it became obvious that the House would go ahead and impose limits on what Trump could do with the U.S. military. Democratic efforts in both the House and Senate to force votes to limit Trump’s war powers have slowly picked up votes from some Republicans in recent weeks. Top House Democratic leaders criticized the move to cancel Thursday’s vote, saying in a joint statement, “the Republican-controlled House continues to behave like a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Trump administration.” Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries, Whip Katherine Clark and Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar said the legislation would have passed with bipartisan support. Another try at a vote is expected to take place in early June after the House returns from its Memorial Day recess.
Trump sending troops to Poland
After Defense Secretary Hegseth announced that the U.S. is pulling 5,000 troops out of Europe, President Donald Trump has announced that the U.S. is sending 5,000 additional troops to Europe. Trump’s announcement came yesterday, one week after Hegseth stopped the scheduled deployment of troops through Poland, a decision explained as being based on frustration with European nations who have “not stepped up when America needed them.” Trump earlier this month announced that he was pulling 5,000 troops from Germany, whose Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the United States was being “humiliated” in the war with Iran that Trump started. Trump now says that he is sending 5,000 additional troops to Poland because right-winger Karol Nawrocki was elected president of Poland. Trump endorsed Nawrocki.
Colbert’s “The Late Show” goes off the air
Stephen Colbert put on his final episode of “The Late Show” Thursday night, thanking his staff, studio audience and viewers for eleven years of laughs. Colbert walked on stage to deafening cheers at the Ed Sullivan Theater in Manhattan in front of an audience of longtime friends and VIPs. Many Colbert fans blamed pressure from Donald Trump for CBS, owned by Paramount, deciding to cancel the show., although CBS said it was a financial decision. Paramount was urgently seeking the Trump administration’s approval of a media merger at the time Colbert was canceled last summer. Colbert notably did not mention Trump at all during Thursday’s finale. Paul McCartney sat down with Colbert for an in-depth interview. Colbert, Elvis Costello and former “Late Show” bandleader Jon Batiste performed and then McCartney, Costello and others sang the Beatles classic “Hello, Goodbye.” CBS said Colbert’s set will be donated to the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago.
Trump cuts blamed for contributing to spread of Ebola
CNN reports that some aid workers and experts say U.S. funding cutbacks and layoffs in multiple areas have hampered the world’s ability to respond to the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The Trump administration withdrew funding from WHO, dissolved the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), made cutbacks at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and is in the process of reducing the total health aid it gives to DRC and Uganda, the countries at the center of the epidemic. “It’s hard to see how there could not have been an effect on the surveillance and response capacities in these countries,” said Josh Michaud, associate director for global and public health policy at KFF, a nonprofit health policy research and polling organization. The International Rescue Committee said U.S. funding cuts contributed to delayed detection of the virus.
Trump apparently to skip Donald Jr.’s wedding
The president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., will wed Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson on a small island in the Bahamas this weekend, two people familiar with the plans told CNN. The sources said President Trump will not be attending the wedding. The guest list has about 50 people on it. The president was vague about his plans when asked about the wedding in the Oval Office on Thursday afternoon. “He’d like me to go, but it’s going to be just a small little private affair, and I’m going to try and make it,” Trump told reporters, adding, “This is not good timing for me. Everything called Iran and other things.” Trump’s public schedule did not indicate he’ll be attending.
Cost of Reflecting Pool renovations closing in on $20 million
President Donald Trump said Thursday the price tag for his Reflecting Pool renovations in Washington, D.C., will be “less than $20 million.” Trump said, “I originally thought I’d do it for $2 or $3 million. But now we are fixing up the exterior of it so we will probably be in it for less than $20 million.” Trump’s comments came as a federal judge heard arguments by a nonprofit suing to stop the project that is underway in front of the Lincoln Memorial. The judge did not immediately rule in the case. Trump claimed that previous repair estimates for the Reflecting Pool came to $350 million. Trump said, “I’ll be doing it in basically a couple of months for less than $20 million dollars.”
Some material ™ & © 2026 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.











